The Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Award was established in 2015 to honor distinguished members of the armed forces who have demonstrated exceptional service to both the United States and their communities. Five veterans including one current University of Iowa student are selected annually for the award.
Recipients of the Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Award have demonstrated these upstanding qualities.
- A strong University of Iowa connection
- Honorable service to our country
- Military accomplishment or contributions
- Service to the community
2015 award recipients
The University of Iowa honored five members of the armed forces for exceptional service to both their country and the Hawkeye community with a new award Thursday night, Nov. 12. Read more on Iowa Now...
- The late Col. (retired) Brooks Booker, U.S. Air Force
- Gen. (retired) James Cartwright, U.S. Marine Corps
- Staff Sgt. Mike Considine, U.S. Air National Guard
- Maj. Gen. (retired) Kenneth Leuer, U.S. Army
- Lt. (retired) Ernie Pascarella, U.S. Marine Corps
Award nomination process
If you believe someone you know, living or deceased, deserves to be nominated for this award, please fill out the following form. Nominees can be submitted through August 31. The five inductees will then be chosen by a committee consisting of veterans of the Iowa City community. Inductees or their families will be notified of their induction by October 31.
Award Nomination Process
If you believe someone you know, living or deceased, deserves to be nominated for this award, please fill out the following form.