The IMU River Amphitheater is available for reservations from 8am to 10pm. Requests for exceptions can be submitted to IMU Event Services.
Weddings are allowed a one hour block of time on a date prior for a wedding rehearsal and are permitted on the space beginning at 9am on the day of their reservation (based on availability).
There is no fee to student organizations or departments for use of the IMU River Amphitheater for free events unless special expenses or damages occur. In the case of an event in which an admission fee is collected, there will be a fee for both student organizations and departments which can be found under Fees in the Additional Damages and Fees policy section. University guests can also visit this website for the current rental fee for the amphitheater. The IMU Fee Schedule applies to all special expenses.
- IMU River Amphitheater is reserved on an “as is” condition. Requested set-ups such as staging, tables, sound, etc., are the responsibility of the user to arrange. The IMU may assist with equipment needs by recommending external vendors or renting out limited items. This is to be arranged with an IMU Facility Coordinator.
- Users are expected to leave the amphitheater in the same condition they received it in. Users will be charged for any damage, clean-up, or misuse of the amphitheater. These charges are determined by the IMU Administration.
Conditions of Use
- All policies governing the sale of goods in the IMU and regarding sales by student organizations will be applicable on the Amphitheater.
- More than one event may be scheduled at once on the west side of the IMU on the IMU River Terrace and IMU River Amphitheater. The number and types of events permitted simultaneously will be the decision of IMU Event Services and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Food and beverage service on the Amphitheater will be allowed and must be provided by UI Catering. No alcohol is allowed on the Amphitheater.
- Failure to obtain approval for the use of the IMU River Amphitheater or violation of applicable University regulations during use may result in the withdrawal of the privilege of use.
- Rain back up is the responsibility of the customer. If conditions are not suitable for use, the IMU reserves the right to cancel, move, or schedule rain back up dates. All effort will be made to notify groups three (3) days in advance of the scheduled event date.
- In the case of cancellation due to weather, both student organizations and university departments will receive full refunds. For university guests, a refund of the full rental of the amphitheater space will be issued, minus a $50 administration fee that will be held by IMU Event Services. This fee will be waived if the IMU Main Lounge is rented in conjunction to the Amphitheater.
- Tents and other items cannot be set on the amphitheater without prior approval.
Sound Amplification Guidelines
Amplified sound is restricted on the IMU River Amphitheater in the following ways:
- Amplification systems less than or equal to 20 watts are allowed at any time.
- Amplification systems greater than 20 watts are allowed from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
Water is not available on the IMU River Amphitheater.
Electrical Hook Up
110 single phase electrical outlets are available at all times for no fee along the IMU River Terrace wall. Groups with other power needs will need to use a generator and must make those arrangements themselves. Please indicate your electrical needs before your event date or at the time of reservation.
Wireless Internet Access
Is available for no charge on the amphitheater
Must be approved by the Vice President in the Office for Student Life.
For more information contact Event Services.
Conditions of Use
All policies governing the sale of goods in the IMU by student organizations will be applicable on the Amphitheater.
More than one ...
The University of Iowa has several spaces for outdoor events available to student organizations, departments, and university guests. To reserve an ou...
The Danforth Chapel was built in 1952 as a place of worship, meditation, and prayer as well as an oasis where students could reflect on their daily li...